Every photographer has an article on Engagement Sessions, but I wanted to make one of my own. So here it goes! There are a few things to cover:
- Why have engagements taken?
- What to expect?
- How to prepare?
Most people, when faced with engagements aren't sure what to expect, or even if they want to get them done or not. But because I believe they are an integral part of having a fabulous wedding day, I started including a complimentary session into my packages. Engagements give me time to really get to know my couples, see what they are comfortable doing, and get them confident in working together. It isn't easy, unless you are a professional model, to just get in front of a camera for an entire day! I get to see a couple's personality and learn a little bit more about what makes them unique, and I love that! How often to you get the chance to have nice pictures of you and your honey, in everyday clothes?
So, you are convinced to have the engagement session, then what?! Well, you can expect one thing, and that's for it to be a lot of fun! I think it is so important to make all my clients have a good time during our sessions. I am not a super serious person, in fact, I am notorious for making a fool out of myself for the sake of a laugh. I believe in genuine smiles and photos that, when you look back at them, you can say, "that is so us".
If your man needs a little convincing, just let him know, he just gets to kiss you and be sweet, and I will just be there to photograph it. I will never ask you to do anything you feel uncomfortable doing, promise. Bottom line, I want you to FEEL COMFORTABLE, BEAUTIFUL, AND GENUINE. It is always nice when my couples can plan something afterward so they have something to look forward to as well...might as well since you both are all snazzed up and anyway!
You can expect to have a say in location because I want to make your images something that is personal to you as a couple. For example, we took a few shots in front of Julianna and David's old High School since they are high school sweethearts. I know this is a more literal idea, but you can pick anywhere, maybe some place you had a date, or even where he proposed?!
So how should you prepare? Well, my motto is, when you feel fabulous, you look fabulous!
- You want to wear something comfortable, but a little nicer than normal.
- Pick outfits that look good together but aren't too matchy matchy
- You can never go wrong with solid colors and some cute accessories
- Layers look great if it is cool enough outside
- If you have a blanket or something from home, feel free to bring it!
- I suggest having two outfits for the day, one more casual, and one a little more fancy. Have a few sets picked out, and I would be glad to help you pick out which one will look best in your photos!
- Avoid: tennis shoes, baggy pants, really trendy outfits (don't want to regret it later, you want at least one outfit to be timeless) Gap has some great jeans for guys!
- FOR ALL YOU MEN OUT THERE!! Please arrive freshly shaven to your lady's desire :) She'll love you even more for it!
- Eatting a little something always makes things easier on you and me, I don't know about you, but I get cranky when I don't eat!
Most important, be yourself, let loose, and trust me! I will give you instruction and make sure you look amazing! Have a fabulous Friday everyone!
- Don't forget, it's your hand's (and that shiny thing ;) close up too, so make sure your nails are clean and or painted!
- For the lady, feel free to get your hair styled and do your make up a little more than normal (if you don't normally wear anything or very little) When you feel a little glammed up, you will project more confidence my way!